Welcome to my blog. My blog is mainly for the sharing of the many projects I make either for swaps, for gifts or just because I was inspired by something I saw on the internet and wanted to give it a try as well. I hope you enjoy what you see and if you have any questions be sure to send me a comment.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Weekend Yard Sales

This past weekend was our HOA sponsored Community Yard Sale. We decided this year not to have our own yard sale but to drive the neighborhoods to see what treasures we might find.  Between us we had about $40.  We just couldn't find much that interested us. I think we ended up spending about $16 or so and half of that at an estate sale for a baby walker for a grandson.  The one place I did find beautiful cigar boxes I'd been looking for the prices were too high and she wasn't interested in lowering the price.  I did score a small Fiskars photo trimmer that cut really nice for a dollar. The one thing that we saw and I fell in love with this suit of armour display.  It wasn't authentic.. maybe a store display and light enough to lift with ine hand.. but very cool.  I kept think this would be an amazing steampunk project.  But the price of $125 was too high.  Even if he came down half price it was still out of my price ranged. 

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

This is a book I made using Graphic 45's Le Romantique papers.  It is a discontinued paper that I bought at Tuesday Morning. It was 25 sheets of the same paper for $3.99.  I discovered a new technique for making a 3 pocket book page that uses 1 12x12 piece of paper.  Here is the link for the tutorial.  This first link is to a photo tutorial.
This link is to a you tube video tutorial which gives better directions for gluing the edges that need to be glued.
The little flower panels on the inside are from G45's Ladies Diary line.
I feel like I need to do something with the binding, but I feel like if I add ribbons to it.. it will just distract.  Will think on it more.

Altered Tin for a swap.

So... once I finished the black metal tin, I couldn't bring myself to give it away.
So I made a second one.. this one was a brassy gold in color and awesome
interior. Which I wanted to keep as well (for publication so can't post it yet).
So I had to come up with tin #3 and not make it so cool so I could give it away.
Haha. This is what I came up with.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

This is a steampunk designed mint tin made for a swap I am hosting on one of my yahoo groups; All Things Tim (Holtz). Once the signups closed and partner's were assigned, I was motivated to get started on mine right away. When I sat down at my art table, I didn't really have any design idea in my head. I figured I'd just look at all my Tim Holtz supplies and wait for something to speak to me. I happened to move something out of the way on the table I saw a piece of silver sticker paper that I had run through one of the TH texture fade embossing folders (Metals) and my mind exploded. Yes it got messy. I had been wanting to try a fake metal look technique and hadn't really attempted it. I figured I'd try it on this piece of embossed sticker and see what happened. "Holy mint tin batman!" The technique worked and a mint tin idea was born. This turned out way cooler than I even imagined. The technique briefly, was to paint black acrylic paint across the embossed sticker sheet (metal tape, metallic paper) then quickly rub it off with a paper towel. Which wipes off the paint from the raised areas and catches on the ridges. The result... a piece of distressed metal. I used 3 texture fade folders; both the riveted metal (top) and the splash guard design (bottom) from TH and then a gear collage design from Cuttlebug. It has a smaller image design than TIm's or Sizzix did so it worked better for the inside of the tin. Then I put it all togther, along with all the embellishments.

G45 A Ladies Diary Mint Tin & Card

Here are a couple projects made from Graphic 45's new A Ladies Diary
paper line.  The tin was a test project in working with a tin that had an
embossed logo design on the lid. It turned out well with the exception that
I overdid the edge inking and you can't see the background paper well. But
it looks like the paper on the back (bottom) of tin.  I also created a card.
It would be suitable for a writing a note, a birthday, Mother's day etc...