Welcome to my blog. My blog is mainly for the sharing of the many projects I make either for swaps, for gifts or just because I was inspired by something I saw on the internet and wanted to give it a try as well. I hope you enjoy what you see and if you have any questions be sure to send me a comment.



Monday, December 17, 2018

Altered Junk Mail Art Journal

Like you, we amass a multitude of junk mail. I know a lot of mixed media artists utilize these substrates, but I have so much purchased supplies I need to work my way through before I start using all these junk mail cards.  A few months back I received a really thick piece of junk mail from American Express, and since we weren't interested in the credit card, I just tossed it into the recycle bin, unopened.

About 3 weeks later I received another identical envelope.  For some reason, this time I wondered what made it so thick.  So I opened it and lamented that I thrown the first mailing out.  It was this amazing 8-1/2" x 4-1/4" book (featuring the fun you can have with this credit card). It had 7 pages (14 sides) besides the cover. It was center stapled, and came in a sturdy card stock envelope (this was all mailed in a while paper envelope).  Having made many books, altered and not, over the years, I decided to make use of this great piece of free substrate. I did all the backgrounds first, by the end of that part of the project it was out growing it's staple strength.  Using more staples and washi tape I managed to make the book a little more stable.  I also altered the cardboard envelope it came in.

Enjoy these photos.  And make sure if you get some junk mail that seems unusual, open it!!














1 comment:

  1. These are great Jocelyn. Maybe I will start checking my junk mail!

    ReplyDelete